Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Anyway to keep those wax bars from drying out?

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 0:17:18 -0600, Jim Hall wrote
(in message ):

Thanks for advice. I can see how too much would cause a problem. You
know I have these three bars I purchased a few years ago and I can still
get the wax on to the buffing wheels from them. Just was a little
concerned eventually they will get too hard. I'm going to try putting a
damp paper towel in one of the ziplock bags with one of the bars and see
what happens.. Maybe that will extend their life a little.. or maybe it
will become a moldy mess.. time will tell, I guess.. -Jim

On 1/4/2010 11:59 AM, Old Guy wrote:
I have partial memories of someone telling me that I would get more
compound applied to the wheel if I lightly dampened the wheel with
either BLO or mineral spirits. (Can't remember which, now). If you
don't put it on lightly, you will discover why you should have as soon
as you turn the buffer on.

Old Guy

a damp paper towel in the bag is a good idea. Would you consider dampening
the paper towel with mineral oil or mineral spirits? As you suggest, mold
might be an issue - if you use water on that bit of paper towel. Just my
opinion.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.