Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_4_] Jay-T[_4_] is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jan 7, 7:48 pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
"Twayne" wrote in message

,
...... Just work around the interference things,...., If you use 2 x
instead of 1 x you'll be able to use a much more effective (thicker)foam
for the sound deadening......,
Doors, windows at each end shouldn't be a problem; just work around
them.

It's hard to describe in a post like this, but there is no way to "work
around" what's there and build out a wall that is even 1 to 1 1/2 inches
thick. There's a door to the basement that is attached to, and
perpendicular to, the party/dividing wall -- and the hinges to that door
are
no only 1 1/2 inches from the existing wall. Adding anything more than
just
the 1/2 to 5/8 inches of sheetrock would interfere with that door and the
door can't be moved or made smaller. The front door to the house is
similar
but with just a little more room. Same for the built-in kitchen cabinets.
I can't get away with adding more than about 1/2 to 5/8 inches there.

I'm still not clear on what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying
to reduce the transmission of sound from your space to the neighbor's,
or from the neighbor's to yours? Those are two very different things
and require two different approaches.

I understand the issues about sound reduction and the limited amount that
can be achieved without building detached isolated walls or barriers etc. I
bought the property as an investment and will be renting it out. Since I am
in the process of finishing repairs, I thought maybe I could do "a little"
to help make it a little quieter for my next door neighbor by slightly
cutting down on noise coming from my future tenants. Knowing that the best
that I could do is maybe cut down the noise transmission a little, I will
only be doing this if it is an easy project -- such as glue up another layer
of sheetrock over the existing party wall.