Mike Hide

Default Making wood filler

shellac probably will be too shiny. I would try colored wax fillers. The wax
is hard and is mineral based [ozerkite ? spelling?]
so finishes will take over it. Available at most finishing supply houses in
a myriad of colors. fill the voids and rub out with oooosteel wool with
mineral spirits if necessary.
--
mike hide

"Steve Goodin" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve