Rob Stokes

Default Making wood filler

Go with the shellac and sawdust. Mix it fairly thin and let it set up before
you sand it off and decide if you need another application. Sanding prior to
finishing will remove the shellac and "expose" the sawdust allowing it to
take a finish. It will be darker than the surrounding wood but should "tone"
nicely.

Good luck
Rob

--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Steve Goodin" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for making my own wood filler?
I am making white oak furniture and have a few small gaps and nicks I will
need to fill. No store bought products seem to be working very well.
A woodworker friend suggested sanding some white oak and mixing the dust
with 2# Shellac to make a paste. Another friend claims that will be too
shiny and I should mix it with something else.
Any of you fine woodworkers have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Steve