Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

Twayne wrote:
In ,
Jay-T typed:
N8N wrote:
On Jan 7, 10:14 am, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am thinking about adding a layer of sheetrock to an existing
party/dividing wall that is between my house and the house next
door. I am trying to decide what is the best way to attach the
sheetrock to the existing wall.

Typically what is done is to install 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips to the
wall and then to attach the drywall to those. That also would allow
you to put some thin foam insulation in the spaces between the
furring strips.

nate

Thanks.

Sorry, but I forgot to add that there is no room to do any kind of
build-out or to add furring strips, etc. Adding just the sheetrock
will already be pushing the limit a little due to doors, trim,
kitchen cabinets, etc. that are along or adjacent to the existing
wall.
So, my only option is to glue or otherwise attach sheetrock directly
to the existing wall.

Sheetrock isn't going to help noticeably I don't think. Just work around
the interference things, and if it's a closet on the wall, also put foam
inside those. It's not that much more work.

If you use 2 x instead of 1 x you'll be able to use a much more
effective (thicker)foam for the sound deadening.
Don't forget the ceiling, depending on how things are constructed;
especially if it's a hung ceiling - noise will come that way, too. Be
meticulous about plugging any holes thru the wall.
Doors, windows at each end shouldn't be a problem; just work around them.

Twayne

My mother once had an apartment that had
concrete blocks between
her unit and the next unit. The
concrete block wall had a thin layer of
plaster as the finished surface. I