Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

On Jan 7, 10:14*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am thinking about adding a layer of sheetrock to an existing
party/dividing wall that is between my house and the house next door. *I am
trying to decide what is the best way to attach the sheetrock to the
existing wall.

The party/dividing wall is above grade in the living area of the house and
is made of bricks/masonry covered by what seems like either mortar or the
type of "rough coat" material that goes under plaster. *I am not sure
exactly what it is, but it seems softer than mortar. *On top of that is a
few coats of latex paint. *The existing wall is in excellent shape -- flat,
solid, no cracks, etc.

My question is, how should I attach the new sheetrock to the existing wall?
Can I just glue it to the existing wall or do I need to use some type of
fasteners in addition to glue? *Maybe just glue it and only use a few screws
to hold it in place while the glue dries? *I haven't tried seeing if
sheetrock screws will go into the wall yet, but I can try that. *Or, maybe
some kind of Tapcon screws would be needed -- but I'd like to avoid having
to do a lot of drilling etc. for a whole wall.

Also, what type of glue should I be using? *I've seen Liquid Nails,
LockTite, etc. but don't know which to choose.

The property is a house that I own that will be rented out. *The reason that
I am thinking of adding a layer of sheetrock to the party/dividing wall is
to try to help reduce the sound transmission between the two properties. *I
do know that just adding sheetrock won't do too much, but I am hoping it
will at least add a little more density to the wall to cut down the sound
transmission at least a little.

Typically what is done is to install 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips to the
wall and then to attach the drywall to those. That also would allow
you to put some thin foam insulation in the spaces between the furring
strips.

nate