Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_3_] Jay-T[_3_] is offline

Default Glue sheetrock to masonry wall?

I am thinking about adding a layer of sheetrock to an existing
party/dividing wall that is between my house and the house next door. I am
trying to decide what is the best way to attach the sheetrock to the
existing wall.

The party/dividing wall is above grade in the living area of the house and
is made of bricks/masonry covered by what seems like either mortar or the
type of "rough coat" material that goes under plaster. I am not sure
exactly what it is, but it seems softer than mortar. On top of that is a
few coats of latex paint. The existing wall is in excellent shape -- flat,
solid, no cracks, etc.

My question is, how should I attach the new sheetrock to the existing wall?
Can I just glue it to the existing wall or do I need to use some type of
fasteners in addition to glue? Maybe just glue it and only use a few screws
to hold it in place while the glue dries? I haven't tried seeing if
sheetrock screws will go into the wall yet, but I can try that. Or, maybe
some kind of Tapcon screws would be needed -- but I'd like to avoid having
to do a lot of drilling etc. for a whole wall.

Also, what type of glue should I be using? I've seen Liquid Nails,
LockTite, etc. but don't know which to choose.

The property is a house that I own that will be rented out. The reason that
I am thinking of adding a layer of sheetrock to the party/dividing wall is
to try to help reduce the sound transmission between the two properties. I
do know that just adding sheetrock won't do too much, but I am hoping it
will at least add a little more density to the wall to cut down the sound
transmission at least a little.