Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Global Warming My Frozen Butt!

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:28:10 -0600, Red Green wrote:

Jules wrote in
news
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 06:49:27 -0800, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't bother to pay attention until the snot freezes right
in my nose. Then I know it's the low single digits or less.

Ha, that's basically how I do it. Once I go outside and feel the
inside of my nose freeze, it's just cold and it doesn't really matter
how cold it is...

We hit -35 the other morning. Then it got to about 0 yesterday and it
felt like t-shirt weather.

Used to see rejoicing when temp got up to 15F. Road salt would start to
work.

I don't know what they use around here, but it seems to work despite it
sitting at zero or below for weeks on end. Maybe they just run the plows
very close to the road surface and the stuff they spread has an
abrasive quality which provides grip and wears away any thin layer of ice
as vehicles travel over it? Or maybe the 'salt' (whatever the stuff is
they actually use) still works at very low temps, but not so well and can
only help on a very thin layer of ice (in other words they'd be screwed if
they didn't keep spreading it over and over and let the ice get thick)?

cheers

Jules