David Babcock

Default Shop insulation / covering recommendations

I've got 1/4" plywood on all wall surfaces in a converted single car
garaged. There is an exposed three foot high concrete foundation, vapor
barrier, then foil covered foam board insulated walls. The joists on the
remaining vertical walls have been daughtered to meet the edge of the
insulation, thereby giving me flat plywood walls. I bought the one side
finished plywood, at the time it wasn't that expensive, and any defects
where fixed after it went up. If I need structural strength, I support
anything I do, (shelves, etc.) with underneath supports.
T-111 is okay but kinda rough for an interior wall.

Dave

"Dukester" wrote in message
om...
Recently finished construction, painting my 20'x24' shop. Raftered
roof, 5/12 pitch, 8' walls. The roof has gable and soffit vents. It
also has it's own 100 amp service. T-111 siding with foamboard on the
center sections and OSB on the corners.

My question is regarding insulation and wall covering. I have not
insulated yet (1 bill at a time!) and was thinking about doing R19 in
between the joists and R11 in the walls. (I'm in the mid-south - think
Memphis). I feel like this would be adequate in the winter months,
but will it do anything for me in the hot, humid summers (I'll buy a
window A/C next year.) Should I have anything directly under the roof
decking & rafters?

Also, are the any options to drywall for a ceiling and walls? I loved
Matthew Teagues idea of using the T-111 on the _in_side for a wall
covering, namely it's strength, and I really hate sheetrock, but the
T-111 would be expensive. Ideas?

Finally, would it make much difference to just lay drywall on top of
the joists and then the insulation on top of that? (I'm thinking I'd
like to use the joists for hanging things, and gain that extra 5.5" of
space.

Thanks for any ideas!
Duke