Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default It's starting, people

Ed Huntress wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:21:01 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

BTW, I'm almost finished with Krugman's _The Return of Depression
Economics and the Crisis of 2008_. It's a good, fairly quick read.

Yeah, Krugman is really beating the drum for another round of
spending right
now.
He's probably right. I don't see that consumers have any real gas in
the tank and there isn't any reason for business to invest when
capacity utilization is at 60%.

--
John R. Carroll

If you've looked around, you see that there are quite a few economists
saying "don't stop now, fer chrissake." Unlike Congress, they know
what happened in 1937, and they don't want to see a repeat.

They can't seem to get in into their heads that what got us out of the
Depression was the biggest make-work, deficit-spending, money-printing
stimulus of all time: World War II.

I read his last editorial.
Good sense and bad electoral politics.
I wonder which will win out?