Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20205 Ignoramus20205 is offline

Default My new lathe, Clausing 5913

As you may recall, I was unhappy with my old Clausing colchester lathe
13x36 lathe due to a lot of wear and lack of precision (0.008" on 5"
or so of a test cut).

This is my new lathe

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clausing-6913-Lathe/

This is a 13x48 Clausing 5913 lathe.

I bought it this morning.

The lathe is also rather dirty, but unlike my current one, the bed
looked a lot better and did not have any scratches or gouges nearly as
big as on my current lathe.

Having learned at least something, this time I ran a test by turning
down a piece of pipe. The cut was 8" long. The not so careful
measurement of the resulting thickness, with an analog caliper, showed
the diameter being within 1-2 thousandths of an inch, throughout. The
measurement was not very careful (though I tried) and the cutter was
not great either.

The lathe includes 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a bunch of tailstock tooling,
some cutters and many drill bits.

According to the seller, he bought it years ago from its original
owner, who did not use it for production purposes. (you never know if
that sort of thing is true). The seller did not use it for production
either, he has a plumbing company.

The price was $500.

The old lathe is now for sale. Here it is.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Master-Lathe/