Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 14:01:57 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Only for a clot.
The wall strength of a cut ring spanner is ****.

Then it was a **** spanner to start with.

I'd agree with you: I've a ring spanner for 1/2" tail nuts that was made by
cutting out a 16mm piece (sorry - not with an AG), sawing off the cut ring
and welding it back on 90 deg. for getting under sinks etc.

It's had a fair bit of force on it at times and is still in perfect
condition.

And what was the wall thickness and depth of this ring spanner to start
with? I suspect it was a fairly hefty old piece.

Third-world job: England, Bedford vanadium. Wall's about 2.5mm/1.5mm,
12-point. Obviously I use a lever through t'other end.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.