Charlie Self

Default Shop insulation / covering recommendations

Dukester asks:

Also, are the any options to drywall for a ceiling and walls? I loved
Matthew Teagues idea of using the T-111 on the _in_side for a wall
covering, namely it's strength, and I really hate sheetrock, but the
T-111 would be expensive. Ideas?

OSB...7/16" for ceiling; 5/8" for walls. Seems like right now, though, it's all
expensive, at a time when prices have usually dropped quite a bit. I'd sit on
it for 6-8 weeks and see if late January, early February bring their usual
reduction in prices.
Finally, would it make much difference to just lay drywall on top of
the joists and then the insulation on top of that? (I'm thinking I'd
like to use the joists for hanging things, and gain that extra 5.5" of
space.

Use OSB. I don't see that it would make any real difference, but I'd make sure
to at least lightly nail the covering to the topsides of the joists. It does
make it difficult, in attics, because you would be likely to step on the cover,
which, with light OSB or Sheetrock, is an invitation to a screwed up knee when
your foot goes through. If the place is accessible only by crawling, etc., it's
less of a problem.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains."
Dwight D. Eisenhower