Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Seeking "Split Ring" Compression Fitting Spanner

Vortex5
wibbled on Sunday 03 January 2010 19:21

I am installing an XCEL 2009 from www.heatweb.com

I have opted for the unvented system option, which introduces a variety of
complications, not least finding a home for the 100 litre expansion
vessel. All resolved though.

I specc'd my own tank - a plain solar enabled jobbie with extra tappings all
over. Vented system (I understand them) - but as luck would have it, there's
a perfect location for the header tank (oversized oviously) in a bit of dead
space in the attic above and along a bit - at least I should manage a
gradient on the fill and expansion pipes to assist with filling and removeal
of trapped air. That's the plan anyway :-o

Because the overall system volume will approach 600 litres it will need a
lot of inhibitor.

Yes it will. Mine is 350l rough total estimate and that's already wallet
burningly large amounts of inhibitor.

I have put check valves all over the place so I can
deal
with most leaks or problems without draining down the main store.

Ditto. I hope to fill the system once and flush, drain, fill with inhibitor
and not drain it for the lifetime of the chemicals.

I am
however troubled by the thought of losing 50 quids worth of inhibitor If I
have to drain down the whole thing!

All being well should be commissioned within a week, and I intend to run
it for a while with no new inhibitor to check integrity first.

Indeed - I'd run it on plain water for a bit to check everything's happy and
there are no leaks, air traps or any other little mods needed[1]. Week or
two on plain shouldn't hurt it. It will ensure all the flux and crap is well
washed out too, or translated, the flux is washed out and the crap is in the
bottom of the store where it's not doing any harm.

[1] I would like to put air seperators in as many places as practical
(meaning high points, but where there isn't enough pump pressure to pump
over into the expansion tank via the seperator). As my tank is below
everything it feeds, it won't likely accumulate air appearing in other
parts.

Good luck - brave man doing it this time of year (or do you not have any CH
anyway?).

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...