Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Plumbing Question

thebigguy wrote in
:

On Jan 2, 9:57*pm, Red Green wrote:
Oren wrote
innews:vd00k59ad9fcdmuqfq96sm2uvp81jcsjfh@4ax

.com:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:26:54 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Generally when I caulk the escutcheon
to wall I only do it from 7 to 5 (on a clock). Idea is that if
water does get behind there it will at least seep out the bottom.
Don't count on it though since the escutcheon edge sits pretty
flush.

I go 360 around them without a problem. Same for the shower pipe
escutcheon.

Wouldn't question 7-5 or 360 is better or worse than the other.

The tub spout is another bowl of beans. The spout has a small hole
at 6 o'clock (near the set screw) for drainage back into the tub.
If this is caulked all the way around, water will leak back into
the wall.

Exactly. And that's not necessairly easy on an escutcheon. No notch
because you don't know where it's gonna stop tight. I've fitted them,
removed, made a notch then installed permanently. Probably a waste of
tiem...except for the warm-fuzzy.

The cap in knurled...the spout needs help too because the diverter
valve doesnt completely shut off water to the spout when the thing is
up. Thanks for all the info though...I assume the spout is threaded
on and will turn off?

Yes, turns off. Again, how easily depends on how corroded.