Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Why even bother with SMPS chips?

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:02:28 -0500, "Oppie" wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
32 bits for such _simple_ work?? Like using a sledge hammer to kill
an ant.

It's actually a 16-bit microcontroller with some rudimentary
fixed-point DSP functionality barnacled onto it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

My bad. thanks for the correction.
I've seen several reference designs now for power supplies, inverters and
motor drives that are using low pin count 16 bit DSPics for the control
elements.
My biggest problem with this is running a debugger. Not only does the system
have to be isolated (affecting the impedance of the power source) but what
happens when you hit a breakpoint and emulation stops. I keep asking the
emulator manufacturers to make available a hardware flag for emulation
stopped so power can be safely controlled. No takers yet.
Oppie

Optically coupled JTAG?

John