Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Steel recomendations for bandsaw axle

In article
,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Dec 31, 9:12*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
*Jim Wilkins wrote:
I would think one would be using a hand reamer. *The adjustable ones
would allow one to creep up on the dimension. *I recall from old books
that people used a reamer with a long shaft at one end and a T-handle at
the other, plus a bushing that went into the other bearing and accepted
the long shaft, ensuring that the two bearings were lined up correctly
after reaming to size.

While I have not seen such a reamer in present-day catalogs, I haven't
looked either.

Joe Gwinn

This is a machine reamer with a setscrew flat on the shank. I turned
it by hand with a Crescent wrench. It was second hand and may have
been modified to go on a turret lathe. It wasn't meant for the use you
described but it worked.

If I picture this, you used the long straight shank of the reamer (plus
a bushing?) as the pilot shaft in the other bearing to ensure that
bearing being reamed lines up with pilot-shaft bearing?

The shaft could be turned to fit after reaming, or even turned small
to the unreamed size. It's much easier to fine tune the shaft diameter
with a lathe than the hole size with a reamer. I assume the bandsaw
has pressed-in bronze bushings like mine since the shaft looked
similar.

That was the implication, and the pictures of the upper axle tend to
support this. Too old to be built with ball bearings.

Joe Gwinn