Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Steel recomendations for bandsaw axle

On Dec 31, 6:43*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

I would just make the new axle from 12L14 (which is a bit stronger than
ordinary mild steel like 1018), and put the money and effort into good
bearings and accurate fitting to the shaft, so no repeat drama.

Joe Gwinn

I forgot to mention that part. Oilite bronze bushings compress when
pressed in and probably will have to be reamed to fit. IIRC I pulled
the reamer through, with centering shims (tape?) around the shank, so
the two holes would line up.

Reamers don't always cut well backwards. The 5/8" one I used had been
ground on the shank with a round-edged wheel that left enough of an
angle on the back end of the flutes to self-center. I have others that
are almost square there and make a mess backwards.

jsw