Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Steel recomendations for bandsaw axle

On Dec 31, 5:49*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
There is a good chance that the shaft is ordinary mild steel, as Delta
was making these by the million for small dollars. *If mild steel, a
leaded steel (like 12L14) would work dandy. *

Touch the old shaft to a grinder and look at the sparks. *This will tell
you if the shaft is alloy steel.

Joe Gwinn

The original shaft from my 10" Delta files and sparks like mild steel,
and the pulley setscrew dug deeply into it. The end shows that it was
cut to length with a bandsaw.

You could make it from solid drill rod the size of the bearings and
sleeve the pulley bore on the large end. I found out the hard way that
drill rod needs annealing after a TIG weld.

jsw