Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Steel recomendations for bandsaw axle

In article
,
andy wrote:

Hi folks.
I am trying to repair a vertical woodcutting bandsaw. It is a
Crescent/Delta 20" made in "back in the day"
When I bought it, the upper wheel axle or shaft was scored from a
locked-up bearing. I repaired it by tig brazing and used the saw for
a few years. Just recently, the whole shaft broke. A replacement
shaft is not availble, so I was planning to make a replacement. I
have acess to a lathe, but no heat treating or grinding equipment.

The following links are from my first repair.The shaft is 1" in
diameter at it's largest and about 9.5" long.

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_shaft_repair.txt
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_...repair_001.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_...repair_002.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_...repair_003.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_...repair_005.jpg
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/saw_...repair_007.jpg

I hope to buy a chunk of steel from McMaster-Carr and have at it.
They sell a dizzying array of steel alloys, and I dont' know which to
choose.

Can anyone recommend a type of steel? Can I just machine a shaft and
not harden it? Any and all advice appretiated.

Was the shaft ever hard? Try filing the end remote from the TIG brazing.

There is a good chance that the shaft is ordinary mild steel, as Delta
was making these by the million for small dollars. If mild steel, a
leaded steel (like 12L14) would work dandy.

Touch the old shaft to a grinder and look at the sparks. This will tell
you if the shaft is alloy steel.

Joe Gwinn