Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_3_] Jay-T[_3_] is offline

Default Well, this turned into a project was how do I run my ground wires? was removing baseboard without damage

Nate Nagel wrote:

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it

The downside is, I am sorely tempted to keep on rolling and keep
rewiring more of the upstairs, and I think I am trying SWMBO's
patience... but even though everything works now and there's not any
code violations left that I'm aware of, I would like to provide
grounds at all the receps so I can get rid of the GFCI, and also get
rid of the original (to the house) wiring that's left in two ceiling
boxes, because of the higher insulation temperature rating of NM-B...
although I believe I've stated before, I am amazed at how well the
original wiring in this house has held up, I used to live in a house
that was built within a year or two of this one and every time I
opened a box I'd have to bring some heat shrink and a lighter with me
because the insulation would just crumble as soon as I flexed the
wires. In this house the insulation is still nice and supple...
weird. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

nate

I'm the same way when it comes to electrical wiring -- once I get started, I
want to get rid of all of the old stuff completely. I'm just finishing
doing that in one property and I recently finished doing that in another.
One had all knob and tube wiring and the other had whatever the next
generation of wiring was after that (the 2-wire, no ground stuff). Both are
rental properties so I especially wanted them to have all new wiring. Of
course, I haven't done the house where I live yet, which still has mostly
all knob and tube wiring.

By the way, what is the "heat shrink and a lighter" trick? I never heard of
that, but I have run into old brittle wiring once in a while that I would
like to at least be able to do a temporary fix on.