Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On topic, We have rotation!

DSL has a limited length in feet or meters.
Not miles. The twisted pair goes to a server bay then to optic.
Many cities are optic in the front yard or at the corner.

ADSL is taking over for normal DSL. Advanced... :-)

I have three ADSEL modems in the house. One is a backup.

Martin

Jon Elson wrote:
Wes wrote:
Re-powered the lathe and mill today. Of course both ran backwards

Quickly fixed that.

One irritating thing is that I can power up the 5hp rpc w/o problems
but when I fire up
the 3HP Clausing 6903 lathe, my dsl modem in the house reboots. Sorta
annoying for the
people using my irc server. Strange thing is my UPS log doesn't show
any issues other
than the every night a less than a second power interruption around
2:15 am.

DSL works with incredibly small signals, pumping hundreds of KHz to over
1 MHz through miles of twisted pair is a complete miracle to begin with.
So, it is most likely electrical noise generated by the contactors, etc.
that is your problem, and not actually a power dip. You may need to
check grounding of the lathe, or possibly add power line filters to the
lathe, RPC or whatever, to get rid of it.

Are you sure the modem actually reboots, or does it just lose sync
with the DSLAM and have to re-sync with it? (That probably looks a lot
the same from the blinking lights.)

Jon