Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default On topic, We have rotation!

Jon Elson wrote:

Wes wrote:
Re-powered the lathe and mill today. Of course both ran backwards

Quickly fixed that.

One irritating thing is that I can power up the 5hp rpc w/o problems but when I fire up
the 3HP Clausing 6903 lathe, my dsl modem in the house reboots. Sorta annoying for the
people using my irc server. Strange thing is my UPS log doesn't show any issues other
than the every night a less than a second power interruption around 2:15 am.

DSL works with incredibly small signals, pumping hundreds of KHz to over
1 MHz through miles of twisted pair is a complete miracle to begin with.
So, it is most likely electrical noise generated by the contactors, etc.
that is your problem, and not actually a power dip. You may need to
check grounding of the lathe, or possibly add power line filters to the
lathe, RPC or whatever, to get rid of it.

Are you sure the modem actually reboots, or does it just lose sync
with the DSLAM and have to re-sync with it? (That probably looks a lot
the same from the blinking lights.)

I shouldn't have said reboots. It seems to break connection since I lose everyone
connected to my irc server.

One of these days when uncle is over to use the lathe, I'll have him start and stop it
while I'm inside watching the lights.

I went outside with my meter intending to monitor line voltage using the min/max function
while I started up rpc and then lathe. I also had my laptop out there so I could monitor
the irc server. Got sidelined with installing shelving and mounting a baseboard heater.

I do have 242 volts unloaded and turning on a 1500 watt 240v baseboard only dropped the
voltage a couple tenths.

The dsl modem in the house was being powered by 121 volts at the time I checked and is
pluggged into a Isobar 6 that is suppled by an off line ups.

Tomorrow, I'll check line voltage at the dsl modem while powering up the lathe. My fluke
has that min max function. I'd do it right now but I'm not heading back out into the
winter storm tonight to get to the shop.

I'll keep what you said in mind. I have a very open mind when troubleshooting electrical
issues.

Thanks,

Wes