Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.politics,misc.consumers,soc.rights.human
Jonathan Kamens Jonathan Kamens is offline

Default Can a landlord invade someone's privacy every single day as long as he provides 24 or 72 hour notices?

Coffee's For Closers writes:
That was my first action. I actually cleaned up many of the
cigarette butts. With disposeable latex gloves, and placing them
into a clean ziplock bag. Which I taped to the offender's door,
when she was at work. But I didn't speak with her. I promptly
called my landlord, with a complaint.

So let me get this straight. Your "first action" in
responding to litter from one of your neighbors was to tape
the litter in a bag to her door, and yet you think you did
nothing to provoke her or project any sort of "attitude."

One of the amusing things (for bystanders) about people like
you is that they are completely oblivious to the fact that
their actions are at least as much a part of the problem as
the people they're accusing.

Let me give you a clue: polite, sensible people without a chip
on their shoulder do not tape litter to a neighbor's door as
their "first action" when trying to get the neighbor to stop
littering. Taping litter to a neighbor's door is the last
resort, not the first one.

Yeah, she shouldn't have been littering. But guess what? You,
not she, turned the littering into a conflict rather than a
matter of courtesy between neighbors.

I've omitted most of the remainder of your post, which was
basically a sob story about how everyone (other owners, the
HOA, the police) were out to get you. There's an old Irish
saying: "When three people say you're drunk, call a cab." let
me spell out what that means for you, since I doubt you'll get
it otherwise... When it seems like everybody's out to get you
and nobody's on your side, the odds are they're not the ones
who are wrong.

On the subject of the police in particular, your armchair
psychology about how she poisoned the police against you by
whining and turning on the tears is just so much fantasy.
Yes, some people are very good at putting on an act and
manipulating the police, and yes, sometimes they fall for it.
But the single biggest factor in determining whether the
police listen to a person is whether that person is polite,
civil, and sticks to the facts. And you know what? Given the
personality that has come through loud and clear in your
postings here, I highly doubt you did that.

Have I mentioned how entitled and arrogant she was?

And you don't act entitled or arrogant at all. Yeah, right.

And, exactly how much do you think that people are obligated to
ignore?

Do you expect me to tolerate 120dB music in the middle of the
night?

No, see, because that's illegal, and you can call the police,
and they can come and see for themselves and objectively
verify your complaint, and then they can do something about
it.

An amphetamine lab?

Ditto.

Only an idiot would equate 120dB music in the middle of the
night or a meth lab with cigarett butts.

Tobacco addicts should be ghettoized. Literally. Forced to live
in scungy inner-city slums that they can use as their personal
ash-trays. Or banished to the nastiest desert island (maybe down
by Antarctica) in a sort of penal colony. They could get weekly
helicopter drops of cheetos and cancer-sticks. With the fights
and riots on pay-per-view.

Yup, I'm sure you did *nothing* to provoke your neighbor or
convince the police that you're a raving loony.