Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default What are our turnings worth to us and to the art//craft.

As we approach a new decade of turning wood our evaluation of and the
public's view of our products may have changed immeasurably. I'm not
sure.

Once we turned round objects for using or for enjoying and discussed art
vs craft and innovation vs plagairy 'ad ifinitum'. One subject that
arose again and again was how to fairly price our turnings for
ourselves, for our professionals and for the good of the hobby or
business, whether it is art or craft.

One argument centered around the question of hobby turning with no time
or overhead constraints that could demean woodturning or undercut our
fellow professionals with give away prices.

We also had different opinions about woodturning always being a craft or
trade. We were concerned about the possibility that crappy work grossly
over priced showed woodturning as a false and presumptive craft or a
ridicuous art form.

Any opinions for twenty ten?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter