Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default On topic, We have rotation!

On Dec 27, 6:34*pm, Wes wrote:
Re-powered the lathe and mill today. *Of course both ran backwards

Quickly fixed that.

One irritating thing is that I can power up the 5hp rpc w/o problems but when I fire up
the 3HP Clausing 6903 lathe, my dsl modem in the house reboots. *Sorta annoying for the
people using my irc server. *Strange thing is my UPS log doesn't show any issues other
than the every night a less than a second power interruption around 2:15 am.

I wonder if that hefty 3ga aluminum wire they run though the woods to my house has
anything to do with it. *It has had a few trees dropped on it during storms, might not be
3ga anymore since it does seem to hang low in places.

Anyone have a lead to an inexpensive online ups? *The offline one works fine with the rest
of the stuff. *It doesn't have to be very big, only need to keep an 18 watt tranformer up.

Wes

Sounds like what you need is a power line filter on your lathe. Had
the same problem when I'd fire up the solid-state speed controller on
my little 7x, UPS on the computer would go nuts from the hash. I got
a line filter module and constructed a box with it in it plus suitable
line cord in and outlet out, problem solved. I got the filter module
from the local ham and surplus store, now defunct. I preferred to
filter out the interference at the source. 3HP might be tough to find
a suitable filter for, though. Check the usual suppliers, Mouser,
Digi-Key, maybe Allied. You might see what can be had on the surplus
market, Herbach and Rademan used to carry a lot of electromechanical
stuff.

APS has some smallish UPS units and filters, I picked up one at the
now-defunct Circuit City for about $50, looks like a somewhat
oversized power strip. Works well enough on the satellite box and TV
monitor. Most of the office supply joints carry that line and that
size. Or try www.microcenter.com.

Stan