Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Antikythera Mechanism - rebuilt 100 BCE analog computer

Let the Record show that technomaNge on or
about Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:03:22 -0600 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Lewis Hartswick wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

I remember a sci-fi story where they find an astronaut, trapped by
cave-in on the moon. Only - nobody is missing. This that and the
other, he's been there for - oh, 50,000 years. So they get the high
tech scanners out and "read" his notebook - using the table of
constants (which any engineer/astronauts manual would have) as the
Rosetta stone.

Is this it?

Inherit_the_Stars by James P. Hogan

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...erit_the_Stars

"Winnah! WInnah! Chicken Dinnah!"

I'd finally recalled that it was by Hogan - it is part of a
"trilogy", we find a wrecked alien ship on Gayanmede, then survivors
enter the system (They've been trying to slow down for the last
umpteen thousand years - engine troubles.), then we beat the bad guys.

I like Hogan's style. _Children of Saturn_ is the latest (as far
as I know) - Velechovsky was correct.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!