Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Antikythera Mechanism - rebuilt 100 BCE analog computer

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:44:52 -0700, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I remember a sci-fi story where they find an astronaut, trapped by
cave-in on the moon. Only - nobody is missing. This that and the
other, he's been there for - oh, 50,000 years. So they get the high
tech scanners out and "read" his notebook - using the table of
constants (which any engineer/astronauts manual would have) as the
Rosetta stone.
-
pyotr filipivich

Have any idea of the title? Sounds like one I'd like to read.
...Lew...

same here

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766