Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default chainsaw chain

On Dec 25, 2:26*pm, Wayne wrote:
I have a chainsaw where the chain wants to not stay in the bottom of
the blade. There were some notches (2 sets) in the drive gear/sprocket
(clutch hub) so I replaced that. I figured once it moves over to the
outboard notch, the chain wouldn't stay in the blade.
Once a motorcycle chain stretches, it will wear out the sprockets
faster. The chainsaw chain stretches like crazy compared to a
motorcycle. The chain is driven differently on the chainsaw though.
So like on a motorcycle should the chain be replace when the sprocket
is
replaced?

The saw worked fine with the chain out of the blade. I do have a groove
in the plastic cover that holds down the blade.

Thanks,
Wayne D.

On a chain saw, the chain will not wear out before you have sharpened
it to the condition it is no longer usable and then replace it. After
a dozen or more chains, the bar will have worn on the bottom and on
the tip to where it will need to be replaced. I have an old Homelite
saw with the engine worn out that has never had a sprocket replaced
and has had only one new bar.

All chain saws have a tank for bar oil. This is very thick oil and
will slowly leak out onto the chain so it will lubricate the bar
channel. Some saws also have a pump for the bar oil so you can
manually apply the oil, like when you first start the saw, or are
cutting into dirty wood or pitchy wood.

Sounds to me like your saw it not getting any bar oil and/or the chain
is not the correct one for the saw. The drive sprocket will get chewed
up if the chain is slack and is allowed to jump off the bar and hang
up in the drive sprocket. Other than that, anything that would damage
a sprocket will get blown out and away by the sawdust.

Paul