Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Problem or overloading the circuit

On Dec 24, 7:36*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 23, 11:37 pm, terry wrote:
On Dec 24, 12:56 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , wrote:
And the double pole brakers can (and should) be used with split
receptacles, but NEVER with different circuits physically in different
parts of the house.
Piffle. That is *not* a requirement of the U.S. NEC -- it might be of the CEC,
I don't know, but it's definitely not a requirement here.
There's nothing wrong with running a 3-wire circuit from the panel to a point
some distance away, then splitting it out into two individual circuits that go
in opposite directions.
If this is not a troll?
Dangerous situation. And arguing about how to wire three wires at this
long distance not likely to fix.

He's not a troll and exactly what is dangerous about this? * What Doug
has described is an Edison circuit which is a shared neutral circuit
using opposite legs on two breakers and is recognized as OK under the
NEC. * * If there is anything in the NEC that says the two sides of
the circuit can't go in different directions, I'd like to see it.

In practice, I've never been a big fan of Edison circuits for a
variety of reasons, but now that the NEC requires that the two
breakers be ganged together, it removes one of my previous main
concerns.

Switch off and/or run the furnace some other way...................
until electrician arrives.
BUT GET SOMEONE THERE FAST (ASAP) to diagnose the problem and fix it.
Also check your smoke detectors and make sure everyone in the house
knows the escape routes.

That advice I strongly agree with.

Since the NEC is now requiring AFCIs for more stuff, doesn't that pretty
much rule out Edison ckts. for new construction? *OR are there double
AFCI breakers available?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

There are double ground fault breakers. Code calls fo rthem on larger
hot tubs.

The hot tub needs a new dedicated circuit on a new breaker. The rest
of it needs to be investigated because it sounds a lot like 14g on a
20 amp breaker possibly with a shared neutral. These hot tub
companies tell people they have tubs that can be plugged into existing
circuits and that's just crap.