Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auxiliary water-heater tank? ? ?

On Dec 22, 3:22�pm, "Bill" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Dec 22, 8:39 am, "Ray" wrote:

Recently I read somewhere that it's possible to add an auxiliary tank to
supply water heaters.

The purpose is, water comes from underground into a storage tank, where
the
temperature of the water is raised by ordinary basement temperatures --
especially in furnace rooms.

This water then feeds water into the heating tank at a considerably higher
temperature, thereby saving energy costs.

This is common sense. Is this technology available now?

Is the technology avalaible? Having a rooftop black tank and a mini
water heater is standard affair in Mexico and other countries that
dont have alot of extra cash. I took an old water heater stripped the
insuation and use it to temper incomming water, it goes up by maybe 6f
in a day. But you will need a tray under it to drain when it swets in
summer if your basement gets humid. Maybe a cheap uninsulated Well
tank will work. In summer you will save a bit.

Keep in mind water would freeze further up north. For solar water heating
systems, they use a closed loop of antifreeze to go to a heat exchanger
water heater. Keeps the antifreeze solution in the lines and on the roof
separate from the hot water which you might use for cooking, etc.!

heat conduction is largely a matter of exposure area which is why
collectors tend to be large and thin