Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
lurch lurch is offline

Default Use different size wire in electro clutch?

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:09:40 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 04:02:30 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore m wrote:
DaveC wrote:

The coil in an industrial electromagnetic clutch (connecting the flywheel to
the drive mechanism) has gone open-circuit. So it is being rewound by a motor
rewind shop.

I was just informed that the original wire was about 12 ga. (maybe slightly
larger; original was metric) but it was rewound using 10 ga.

Why do Americans persist in using stupid AWG that no-one else in the
world uses except to entertain you ?

---
Because we like to be entertained by watching loons like you go bonkers
when we force you to step outside of your wretched little comfort zones?

I didn't go bonkers at all. I just picked an easy target to stir you up.

---
And why would you want to do that? Just to make trouble, no doubt.

I noticed that while you were gone the atmosphere around here stunk a
lot less like **** than usual.

Now you're back and the place is starting to stink again. Too bad...
---

America: "Hello, Europe, we'd like to buy 50,000 pounds of #10 AWG OFHC
double formvar magnet wire.

Europe: But... but all we have is metric sizes, in kilograms, boo hoo.

We can convert too, you know. Thankfully only an issue for you lot.

---
Are Levi's sold over there with waist sizes in centimeters or do you
have to convert 112 cm to find what you can wear?
---

Have you never heard of mm^2 ?

---
Sure we have.

So what?

Why don't you use it ?

---
Because it doesn't suit us in everyday life?

JF

I'll bet folks in the industry were calling out wire by American Wire
Gauge calls long before folks 'over there' were calling wires out in
direct cross sectional area numerics. We hade/have circular mils, and
you guys have square millimeters.

Eventually, the world will, perhaps, be all metric. Maybe one day
there will be a singular monetary system or government... sure.

Don't hold your breath.

For now we will all, both you (Eeyore's 'over there' crowd)and us,
savor the nostalgia that our truly scientific ancestors gave us. We will
cling to those things that we think important. Every 'scientist' knows
how to measure length regardless of what ticks are on the scale... still,
every man likes to do so with *his own* ruler.

All the automation and such in 'science and industry' these days has
made for some 'scientists' that are titled or held in regards that are
far beyond their actual level of competency or depth of knowledge.

I am glad that you are not in that boat, John.

The classical engineers are all but gone... a dying breed.