Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Cold weather condensing boiler breakdowns x 2 Frozen condensatepipes

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:03:19 +0000, YAPH wrote:

I wish people wouldn't tar all BG installers with the same brush. Whilst
I enjoyed Stephen Fry's likening of BG, as an organisation, to a
pelican[1], they do have a huge number of engineers working for them and
inevitably there will be a range of competence amongst them. A few years
ago I had the good fortune to be present while a more senior engineer
took a less experienced one through doing a landlord's gas safety on a
boiler, and I was impressed (and learned a thing or two) by how
thoroughly they did it.

I agree. Some years ago we had a full CH/plumbing contract with them, and
the ball valve failed completely on the cold tank in the loft. Young guy
came out, fitted a new one that had a longer thread on the 'outside', and
tilted the whole connection sideways. A few hours later we noticed water
dripping through the ceiling.

They sent an older guy out who said a few rude words about the younger
one, then proceeded to do the whole thing properly. Trimmed the pipe,
fitted isolation valve, and TESTED it!

Unfortunately they are all retiring...

[1] they can both stick their bills up their arse :-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org