Posted to uk.d-i-y
YAPH YAPH is offline

Default Cold weather condensing boiler breakdowns x 2 Frozen condensatepipes

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 00:40:04 +0000, Heliotrope Smith wrote:

British Gas!
Service???
Tightness test???

Since when??????

I wish people wouldn't tar all BG installers with the same brush. Whilst I
enjoyed Stephen Fry's likening of BG, as an organisation, to a pelican[1],
they do have a huge number of engineers working for them and inevitably
there will be a range of competence amongst them. A few years ago I had
the good fortune to be present while a more senior engineer took a less
experienced one through doing a landlord's gas safety on a boiler, and I
was impressed (and learned a thing or two) by how thoroughly they did it.

At one point they discovered that the foam casing seal had been augmented
with silicone to get it to seal properly and the senior guy remarked that
"that would have been X" (where X was another BG engineer who had done the
inspection previously).

[1] they can both stick their bills up their arse :-)

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure