Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Request help with bookcase

KuroNeko wrote:
Folks, I need some help, and this newsgroup is as close as I could
find to the issue. I hope some of you can makes some time to read
this and give me your expert advice as woodworkers.

I recently purchased a replica bookcase made from solid mahogany.
It's a 6 part bookcase, with a base that runs the entire length, 2
bottom units with wooden doors, 2 top units with glass doors, and a
crown that again runs the full length.

Here's a picture. Note, this is not the store where I bought it from.
http://www.mrhiggins.nl/product.php?p=109

The bookcase is OK, but the guys that delivered it obviously weren't
used to placing these large pieces of furniture. They didn't bring
any tools at all.

They assembled the bookcase in the room, then pushed it against the
wall where it was supposed to stand, then asked for some little bits
of wood to put under one corner to straighten it (after I told them
it was hanging over to the front on one side). Then they left. They
kinda looked like amateurs.

The bookcase now slightly moves to the back if you push it on one
corner, it's not entirely supported. Also, and this is the bigger
problem, the 2 bottom units no longer align, one is no longer
standing straight in the base. The company said just to fill it with
books and it would move into place by itself. The top units can be
moved together (they're not locked into place, their weight keeps
them in place) but there's a gap at the bottom where they meet. Looks
like the case is sorta sagging in the middle.

I am under the impression the base is actually no longer straight,
pressure from the weight seems to make the board move outwards.

The base is basically a rather thin board on its side running the four
sides. Not feet. But with the bit of wood under one corner, the entire
bookcase just rests on the four corners of the board, there's no
support in the middle whatsoever.

My questions:

- is this safe? If you'd design a base like this, isn't it supposed
to be supported over the entire length?

- is the company correct? Will it move into place by itself if it
starts carrying weight?

- if not, what is the proper way of setting up this type of furniture,
taking the uneven floor into account?

I'm a bit miffed at the company, since I'm alone,
disassembling/reassembling this won't be easy. Need to get some kind
neighbour to help. So if it has to be done, I want to make sure it's
done the right way first time.

All advice is very much appreciated!

Happy holidays all!

Before you do anything else, check to make sure that they actually assembled
the units so that they were square. If they didn't then until you correct
that you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

To check, just measure the diagonals going both ways and make sure they're
the same--you can do this with a piece of string--pull it tight along one
diagonal, mark the string at the outside corners, then pull it along the
other and see if the marks match--if they don't then it's out of square and
you need to fix that.

Next set the base in place and level and shim it. You're going to need some
kind of level to do that--one that's a little longer than the longest
dimension will let you not only level it but also use the level as a
reference surface so you can be sure the base is flat enough along the top.

Here's an illustrated description of the shimming process and an alternative
scribing process,
http://books.google.com/books?id=9pG...20base&f=false
or http://tinyurl.com/ykpmmgw . You want to shim, not scribe, unless you're
_sure_ that the bookcase will never be moved. At a minimun you want solid
support (either shim or floor) under each corner and under the center in
front and back and you may want more. You can find premade shimming wedges
at a building supply store.

Once the shims are in place you'll want to cut them off flush with the
front--some blue painters' tape on the front of the base will protect it
from getting scarred by the saw or chisel you use to do that (if you don't
have a good sharpening setup then go with a saw--you want one purpose-made
for flush cutting such as
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...28&cat=1,42884, or a Fein
Multimaster or one of its clones if you happen to have one).

Now assemble the bookcase and it should sit level and be well supported.
You may have unsightly gaps under it though--if so, you can get some molding
and mahogany stain and use the molding to cover the gaps.