Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default Use different size wire in electro clutch?

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 03:17:14 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

James Sweet wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
DaveC wrote:
The coil in an industrial electromagnetic clutch (connecting the
flywheel to the drive mechanism) has gone open-circuit. So it is being
rewound by a motor rewind shop.

I was just informed that the original wire was about 12 ga. (maybe
slightly larger; original was metric) but it was rewound using 10 ga.

Why do Americans persist in using stupid AWG that no-one else in the
world uses except to entertain you ?

Have you never heard of mm^2 ?

Graham

You paint with a wide brush. I'd be perfectly content to use metric, and
end up using both systems regularly but it's not as if it's up to me
what the whole country uses.

The USA is 'supposed' to be metricated.

---
No, it isn't.

In ordinary life we we still buy gasoline and milk by the gallon, meat
by the pound, we measure distance in miles, length in yards, feet and
inches, and stupidity in grahams.

In science, out of the goodness of our hearts, we use the metric system
just to keep goons like you from having to convert and make your
inevitable mistakes.
---

hy you choose to be so backward never
fails to amaze me.

---
Choosing to use a system we're comfortable with and which works for us
isn't backward, it's just convenient.

After all, we got to the moon and back, the first time with feet and
inches.

And you?

Expanding on "backward", however, it's taken you lot some 350 years
after we came up with the United States of America to finally admit that
your system was ****ed; the proof being in your recent adoption of a
copycat version with the "United States of Europe", with the UK hedging
its bets by not converting to the Euro. How's that for backward?
---

Any given wire gauge covers a wide range of
cross-sectional areas. At least you know what you're getting with mm2.

---
No, dumbass, any given wire gauge is specified as having a fixed
diameter and, therefore a fixed cross-sectional area.

Whether there are several Metric sizes between AWG sizes is really
immaterial in that probably 99.999% of all the applications requiring
copper wire can be met using AWG. Read Spehro's post for a clue.

JF