Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

I miss the TIN Barn that moved out.
It had a fantastic nut and bolt selection. a set of trays
that was 5' x 80'. You want what? - down there after stainless and before xxxx.

Martin

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
In rec.woodworking Jon Danniken wrote:
snip

Try Ace Hardware. Much higher quality, and often cheaper.

-- Andy Barss

Ace has consistently had the highest prices for any item you can mention,
unless it's on the clearance rack, and then, it's just under what the
other stores sell it for every day. Surely you jest.

Those Ace Hardware stores are independently owned and operated. The prices,
selection and service varies widely from location to location.

I have two close to me. The one that has been there forever has an
extensive selection of fasteners, cheaper than big box stores and much
better quality. The one that opened recently has less selection, surly help
and more expensive prices.

Guess which one I go to.

A case in point. I needed some deck screws recently to do a fence repair.
The BORG only had the deck screws in those expensive little boxes. And they
did not have the sizes I needed either. And they were quite expensive as
well. I went to the Ace Hardware, got three different sizes of deck screws
from the bulk bins and paid for a pound of fasteners.

And their deck screws are tough little *******s too. I have used them for
several repairs. I probably saved at least $20 over Home Depot prices on
this job alone. And as been pointed out elsewhere recently, there is no
telling what kind of quality you get when paying the big bucks at the BORG.