Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.politics,misc.consumers,soc.rights.human
Coffee's For Closers[_2_] Coffee's For Closers[_2_] is offline

Default Can a landlord invade someone's privacy every single day as long as he provides 24 or 72 hour notices?

In article a8060ebe-b506-40b2-96ba-
,
says...
I was wondering about that. Let's say a land lord wants to spy on
their tenants and make their lives miserable by coming into their home
everyday. Most places require at least a 24 hour notice. Can a
landlord make up bull**** things such as "check the outlet cover for
cracks in the kitchen by the microwave", and just keep making work
orders everyday for stuff like that?

I've never had a landlord who had time for such behaviour.

If a landlord is deliberately trying to make the tenant
miserable, then it probably isn't about "spying." It is more
likely about provoking the tenant to move out. Like in a
situation where there are restrictions on raising the rent for
existing tenants, but not when soliciting new tenants.

I once had a somewhat incompetent, "mom and pop" type landlord -
a couple who only had that one apartment. They would
occasionally show up unannounced, with the excuse that I didn't
answer the phone when they had called ahead. Apparantly, they
didn't feel like leaving a message on my voicemail.

The landlady (or, rather, the landlord's non-working wife)
actually had the gall to tell me that I should go on vacation.
And claimed that she was trying to help me to enjoy life more.

The real reason was that, they wanted to remodel the bathroom,
and didn't want to pay for me to have alternative accommodation
while the place was unlivable. She felt entitled to have me pay
rent while the plumbing was out of commission, with me also
paying for another place to stay, "on vacation."

I had already set myself up to look like a chump, because I had
tolerated a couple of other serious problems, including
replacement of floor-to-ceiling windows while I was living there.
I should have gone to the Housing Commission with photos and
demanded a severe rent reduction for those periods. When you act
nice and tolerant, a lot of people just start feeling more and
more entitled.

I later ended up leaving that place out of concern for my
physical safety, having been attacked by a neighbour. It was
partly related to a littering dispute (she threw hundreds of lit
cigarette butts around the outside of the building.) Although
her main beef with me was that, I had refused to be personal
friends with her. Plus she was angry that I had a better
financial/job/life situation than her.

My then-landlord's wife actually took the side of the neighbour,
and insisted that I must be the problem.

That was partly because she wanted to churn the tenant, redo the
bathroom, and jack up the rent. Interesting enough, she
specifically wanted to replace me with a male tenant, to reduce
the risk of more conflict with the abusive neighbour, who was the
trying to be the "queen bee" over all the women in the building.
Also, landlord's-wife was livid when I made a casual comment
about my opinion of housewives and other incompetent type women.

Some landlords just don't appreciate how valuable a tenant like
me is. The kind who stays stable for years, pays on time, acts
quiet and civilised, doesn't damage anything, etc.

I sincerely hope that, since my departure, the above-mentioned
landlords have had a string of bad tenants, burning them for
money and trashing the place. And I hope that they have had lots
of headaches with the aforementioned neighbour.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/