Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cold weather condensing boiler breakdowns x 2 Frozen condensate pipes

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
(A.Lee) writes:
cynic wrote:

Ho hum - went shopping this morning and noticed my neighbour had a
plumber/heating installers van outside. When I returned said van had
gone and neighbour looked distinctly cold. On speaking to him it
transpired installer knew nothing about the insides of the boiler
despite having installed and "comissioned" it. Since he could not
fix it he departed.
We had very severe frost last night so I enquired if there was an
ice plug in the condensate outlet. Neighbour got ladder out to look
and it turned out there was. Soon neighbour had kettle out and a
warm house soon after.

Do some pipes constantly 'dribble' out then?

My Keston does. It's slightly warm*, so it's not going to freeze
unless there's a long run of exposed outside pipework. In my case,
it has about a metre of 32mm plastic, before it enters the stack.
Instructions did say not to use the 21.5mm pipework outside, but
I do see this quite often when looking at other installations.

My Baxi Solo has 21.5mm plastic and appears to be designed for it. You
certainly couldn't couple 32mm to it. The 21.5mm runs for a good 3 metres
and hasn't frozen it the recent heavy snow.

My CORGI mate installed the boiler & took the 21.5mm out through the wall &
I finished the run. I asked him about insulating it & he said it wasn't
necessary.

I guess the Baxi Solo dribbles as well - never really looked.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk