Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , bud-- wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , bud--

wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
There's another workaround: the GFCI requirement applies only to "125-volt,
single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles." So install a 30-amp
circuit and receptacle, and change the plug on the sump pump.
Then it is not UL listed - it was designed and tested on a 20A ckt.
So what? It's not a Code violation to plug unlisted equipment into a
receptacle.

You usually have good advice. This one isn't.

The pump, float switch or line cords designed for 20A may not fail
safely when operated on a 30A circuit.

I've got news for you: the line cord on a sump pump isn't "designed for 20A".
Go have a look at one. Tell me what gauge the conductors are.

The line cords are designed to be safe to operate on a 20A ckt. That
means, for instance, that the conductors will survive the available
fault current for the time until a 20A breaker/fuse will open. That is
why you can have 18ga extension cords on a 20A ckt. I wouldn't bet that
is true on a 30A breaker, which may have a higher fault current or will
take a lot longer to trip at the same fault current.

A smart person uses UL listed equipment.

--
bud--