The Good Bohemian

Default Window Glazing

In article Fewzb.214350$Dw6.783344@attbi_s02, David Babcock
wrote:

Mineral spirits on a cloth, keep the "stiff" blade putty knife clean. (I
actually use an old chisel with great success) Don't let the glazing putty
get squishy soft, and pack it against the sash well, pressing against the
wood before forming. The secret the pro's will share is trying to get the
glazing putty no higher than the inside sash. And here is one I will share.
After forming the angle, you sometimes get little splits in the putty
against the class. Wipe your blade with spirits and with as little pressure
as possible draw the knife the opposite direction, don't force it. The
splits will be gone.

Dave

If it helps... I'll add my .02 worth. The last 3 times I glazed
windows, I smoothed the first application out with olive oil. I tried
this once up at the cottage because I really had nothing much else to
use. The next time I did the same thing because it worked so well the
first time. Now I will do the same thing every time because it has
worked 3 times in a row. The last time I glazed a window was after a
New Year's 'accident'. Bearing this is mind, the ole' Olive oil trick
worked perfectly even in January!

HTH

Andrew.