Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

On Dec 16, 2:25*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
I have a sump pump in an unfinished basement. *It is on a dedicated 15-amp
120-volt circuit, the outlet/receptacle is on the ceiling, and it is a
duplex GFCI receptacle.

The sump pump failed because the GFCI receptacle tripped, and the basement
flooded.

Are sump pumps required to have a GFCI receptacle according the National
Electrical Code (NEC) even if the receptacle is on the ceiling about 7 1/2
feet from the floor?

Could I change the receptacle from a duplex GFCI receptacle to a single
receptacle that is not GFCI, and still be in compliance with the NEC?

My new home passed without it in 1998, things may have changed.

I personally would not want any critical piece of equipment like that
on a GFCI. Mkes no sense, its in the hole anyway.