Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

"Jay-T" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Jay-T" wrote in message

I guess I could do the second option of cutting the plug off and hard
wiring it. But, I would have to figure out how to do that because
the sump pump I have has a plug with two cords going into it -- I
assume one is power to the pump and the other is from the float
switch. If I did that approach, would I have to have a shut-off
switch added to the circuit, or would the dedicated sump pump
circuit breaker be sufficient to serve as the shut-off?

It would require a means of disconnect within 50 feet of the pump and
within sight of it. You could also install a lock on the circuit
breaker.

Good, the main panel is less than 30 feet away and in direct sight of the
sump pump. The dedicated sump pump circuit breaker is very clearly marked
and is at the bottom of the panel away from the other circuit breakers.
So, I assume that would serve as the disconnect. I would rather do that
than have another switch somewhere that someone could accidentally turn
off or turn off intentionally and forget to turn it back on.

I would still have to figure out how the wiring in the sump pump plug is
set up. It's a molded plug and two cords go into it -- one from the back
and one from the side. I am guessing that the cord that ges into the side
of the plug is a switch loop coming up from the float, but I don't know.
I would have to figure that out if I decided to cut the plug off and hard
wire the sump pump.
If you cut the plugs off, you'll find a three wire cord to the motor, and
as you suspected, a two wire cord going to the float, pretty self
explanatory