Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

On Dec 17, 11:29*am, "Jay-T" wrote:
bud-- wrote:

I would replace the GFCI with a single (not duplex) 15A receptacle. If
at some point in the future (like a home inspection) this is flagged
it is not that hard to reinstall a GFCI.

I am having a little trouble figuring out the "single (not duplex) 15A
receptacle" option.

When I do a search for single 15-amp receptacles, all I see are receptacles
that have differently-shaped holes for the plug to go into -- there is a
ground hole and then 2 flat slots that are in the same line, not parallel
with each other. *So, I would need a different style plug than the standard
one that is now on the sump pump.

Meanwhile, I can find a single 20-amp receptacle that has a slightly
different configuration than a standard 15-amp plug, but it looks like a
standard plug could go into it (I don't know if that's true). *But, then I
would have a receptacle that looks like it is for a 20-amp circuit, but the
existing sump pump circuit is on a 15-amp circuit breaker. *I would have to
go to the property and check, but I suspect that since it is a dedicated
15-amp circuit that is only for, and only connected to, the sump pump, it
probably is wired with 14/2 wire not 12/2 wire.

If the area is an unfinished area/workshop, then the exception to the
rule would seem to apply, if I read earlier posts correctly.