Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
J. Clarke wrote:

John Silber, former president of Boston College, was asked what one
thing could be done to improve the quality of education in America.
He answered: "Abolish colleges of education."

Sounds exactly like the typical "former" employee with an ax to grind
would say.

I'd say get rid of public education and all the bureaucracy that
come with it. Privatize it.

Yep. If universal education is felt to be a worthwhile goal, give out
vouchers.

Oh, and before you shrug off John Silber as a disgruntled
ex-employee, you might check his Wikipedia entry. I just did and I
see I made a mistake: He was president of Boston University, not
College.

FWIW, I have a friend who has a PhD in education, and is retired, not fired,
so one can't claim that he is "disgruntled", who shares the opinion that the
flaws in the system are inherent in the educational philosophy currently
being taught in the colleges of education, and in the poltical tendency to
require the schools to provide more and more social functions that are not
rightly part of education.