Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_2_] Jay-T[_2_] is offline

Default Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

John Grabowski wrote:
I have a sump pump in an unfinished basement. It is on a dedicated
15-amp 120-volt circuit, the outlet/receptacle is on the ceiling,
and it is a duplex GFCI receptacle.

The sump pump failed because the GFCI receptacle tripped, and the
basement flooded.

Are sump pumps required to have a GFCI receptacle according the
National Electrical Code (NEC) even if the receptacle is on the
ceiling about 7 1/2 feet from the floor?

Could I change the receptacle from a duplex GFCI receptacle to a
single receptacle that is not GFCI, and still be in compliance with
the NEC?

*The latest code edition now requires that all unfinished basement
receptacles as well as all garage receptacles regardless of their
location be GFI protected. This apparently was changed because
people will plug things in no matter where the receptacle is and what
it is for. I have seen plenty of extension cords hanging from garage
ceilings to agree with the requirement that garage door opener
receptacles be GFI protected.
Unfortunately that does present a problem as you found out the hard
way. I suggest that you write to the NFPA about your personal
experience in this case.

If I figure out who the NFPA is, and what their contact/mailing information
is, I may just do that.

My thought is that there should be another type of receptacle for the
sump pump such as a twist lock without GFI protection. That would
make the receptacle unavailable for general use and keep it for sump
pump use only and thus eliminate the potential damage from nuisance
tripping. If GFI protection is required for the pump, an equipment
GFI can be installed along with the twist lock receptacle. An
equipment GFI does not have the same low threshold for tripping as
the one used for people protection and consequently is less prone to
nuisance tripping.

I think that is a good suggestion. It makes sense and it solves the problem
that is intended to be solved by the new NEC. Maybe you could write to the
NFPA too and submit your suggestion to them.

In terms of safety, one problem with the latest code for sump pumps in
unfinished basements is that the GFCI could cause the pump to fail and the
basement to flood. Then, there would be the newly-created hazard of someone
walking in the water and accidentally coming into contact with any
electrical power source in the basement.