Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
jjh jjh is offline

Default Use different size wire in electro clutch?

On Dec 16, 9:27*pm, Eeyore
m wrote:
DaveC wrote:
The coil in an industrial electromagnetic clutch (connecting the flywheel to
the drive mechanism) has gone open-circuit. So it is being rewound by a motor
rewind shop.

I was just informed that the original wire was about 12 ga. (maybe slightly
larger; original was metric) but it was rewound using 10 ga.

Why do Americans persist in using stupid AWG that no-one else in the
world uses except to entertain you ?

Have you never heard of mm^2 ?

Graham

Now that is a helpful comment. Maybe because we are??? Why are there
three distinct classes of units in physics? (eventhough SI units are
somewhat universal). Cross sectional area and diameter are basic
parameters that engineers understand and taught to convert between any
system of units. Difference between an engineer and an hack? I like
blue, you may like purple. Our rocket went to the moon, you don't
have one...Sheese, don't ya have enough nits to pick?
-John