Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

On Dec 17, 11:46*am, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
I did own an Audi once. Worst car I've ever owned in terms of
reliability. Made by VW. I had a g.f. years ago who had a Karmann Ghia,
and it was a piece of junk, too. Then I had a g.f. with a Jetta, also
crap. Have a friend who bought one of those new VW bugs a few years ago
and it began to disintegrate at about 80k. Have a friend who owned an
original bug for 25 years, and loved it, but it was in the shop every
3-4 months. (He didn't have a frame of reference to see that as an
issue.)

Two friends have/had between them three fairly recent Audis. The
transmission in one just "blew up."

The wife of a customer of mine blew a transmission out of an Acura the
other day. That sometimes happens with performance vehicles. A distant
relative took the clutch out of a Trabant. Yup.. **** happens.

A year or two back on "Car Talk"
somebody called to report that his Audi (either A4 or A6; I no longer
remember which) was burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles and the
dealer said not to worry about it.

I find that 'caller' highly suspect and the response not indicative of
an Audi dealer. Not that you can't lose a ring, or lube-seal on a
turbo and burn a whack of oil in hurry, but the dealer response? Naaa,
there more to that story.