Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Volkswagens (was Rethinking "Made in China")

In article ,
Swingman wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

You folks who are going on about "Rabbits" and "Jettas" and suchlike are
missing the point.

THE Volkswagen, the Type I, aka the Beetle, aka the Porsche Type 60, was
in
continuous production for over 60 years with more than 20 million built,
both the longest and largest production runs in automotive history.

Completely irrelevant to the issue of reliability.

Did you not just contradict yourself with your story about friends
"ancient" VW?

You mean the one where he replaces the engine every 2-3 years? (And
makes all manner of other repairs on a regular basis?) No, I'm not
seeing that as a contradiction.

Have YOU ever owned one?

No, the experiences of my friends who did was all I needed to stay away
from them. But if you like them, then by all means, keep driving them.

I did own an Audi once. Worst car I've ever owned in terms of
reliability. Made by VW. I had a g.f. years ago who had a Karmann Ghia,
and it was a piece of junk, too. Then I had a g.f. with a Jetta, also
crap. Have a friend who bought one of those new VW bugs a few years ago
and it began to disintegrate at about 80k. Have a friend who owned an
original bug for 25 years, and loved it, but it was in the shop every
3-4 months. (He didn't have a frame of reference to see that as an
issue.)