Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default What's this kind of terminal called?

On 17 Dec, 12:00, Sylvia Else wrote:
John G wrote:
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:59:05 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

Gloria West wrote:
...what's the term used to describe the terminal on the device?

Sylvia.
Binding posts.

They sometimes also will accept banana plugs in the middle of the post, like
these do:

http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/broadcast/2417073_6883_6884.pdf

but use of banana plugs for high current applications such as your inverter
is not recommended.

Yes.

After Nik told me what they're called I was able to to find some in an
online catalogue. All my previous searches for screw, terminal and
connector, and combinations thereof, had failed to find them.

Sylvia.

RS Catalogue
Red Terminal Post *738-418
Black * * * * * * * * * *738-402Good for 63 amps 60volt dc

Insulated terminal 30 Amp Various colours

All on Page 2758 latest cat.

John G. * *

Yes, they're not difficult to find, if you know what they're called.

Sylvia.

I was taught many many years ago that "binding post" is the American
name for what we Brits (and hence RS and Maplin) call a "terminal".
(Maplin goes half way across the Atlantic with "terminal post".) So
you also need to know where the questioner is.

Chris